SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX: BIG LUGS AND MEMBRANE FOR SNOW AND MUD TRAIL RUNS.
SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX: BIG LUGS AND MEMBRANE FOR SNOW AND MUD TRAIL RUNS. Our TRAIL SHOES section, bring us today a new technical analysis of the Salomon Speedcross 5 GTX. As you might remenber we have presented you its “fashion” sisters, the Speedcross Offroad ; we have also showed you the 2022 Salomon asphalt shoes, the Salomon Trail Running 2022 and the top range S/LAB collection 2022
The Salomon Speedcross 5 GTX arrives as the most suitable to get the most out of it looking for maximum performance. They are € 160 for 340gr, with drop 10mm and a height to the ground 20-30mm. The set is finished by its new Contragrip TA sole with 6mm lugs.
SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX. REVIEW BY MAYAYO.
The four models in the SALOMON CROSS range are: Salomon Speedcross 5; Salomon Wildcross; Salomon Supercross Blast and Salomon Alphacross Blast. For winter now come the four versions with GTX, of which we will focus on the great classic bestseller of the French brand. Her three sisters, renewed in 2020, you have them here: SALOMON CROSS
SALOMON SPEEDCROSS GTX (130€ / 290GR/ DROP 8MM)
- Price 160 €, Share price with the Wildcross GTX, 20€ more expensive than the Super Cross Blast and Alphacross Blast . The GORE-TEX version is 30€ more than the Speedcross without membrane.
- DROP 10MM High, but that’s the Speedcross. Part of its essence. In great uphill your Achilles tendon will thank you.
- WEIGHT: 340 GRAMS. It weighs 30gr more than the Wildcross GTX, but barely 12 grams more than its sister Speedcross without membrane. A tiny overweight to have full booty of goretex.
- GROUND HEIGHT: 20-30mm. A higher height than most of the Salomon range, due to the prominence of lugs in front as well as the wide wedge back. It doesn’t mean that it is very muffled, but something more than its spartan predecessors, that when the lugs were almost gone, you stepped on the ground.
- OUTSOLE: Contagrip TA. The Contagrip rubber sole features deep multidirectional lugs to improve mud traction. Created for maximum grip on slippery, soft or uneven surfaces, this rubber balances durability and grip.
- HORMIFIT FIT: It looks so the feet are safe and comfortable. It works, now with a pellet more space, a couple of mm more width maybe.
- QUICKLACE CABLE: The Classic of the brand is still present here. It is not liked by everyone, but those who fit in, they value its adjustment of tough and minimalist laces. Easy to put on, easy to remove, no doubt.
- ENERGYCELL: It is a high bounce midsole compound that offers exceptional energy return, plus a great cushioning and durability.
SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX: HIGHLIGHTS.
If we take the differential pillars of this shoe, we must focus on two main ones: Weather protection with the Speedcross 5 GTX and the legendary aggressive grip that has made the Speedcross an icon of the last decade. Let’s go with the details of both.
Weather protection with the Speedcross 5 GTX. The new design of Gore-tex for this 2020 Speedcross 5 seeks to reduce the volume, improve comfort while maintaining complete climate protection.
Aggressive grip. The Contagrip TA sole features an aggressive lug pattern that allows them to penetrate both mud and humid areas or soft snow. Precise adjustment.
SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX: CONCLUSION BY MAYAYO.
It is a reference uphill running shoe in the last 10 years for its tight fit and superb grip. But in return, little uncomfortable and narrow for a large part of the popular runners. Now, we see how millimetre by millimetre, in the last few years tries to open up to a wider range of use than the original Speedcross.
Polished details year after year to make it more comfortable and more stable. Less risky for the ankles. Therefor, if you never used the Speedcross because it didn’t fit you, you can try this version 5 now and see if you give them a second chance. On the other hand, if you are looking for soft ground shoe with tones of grip, while giving you more confidence … better then you bet for her sister, the SALOMON WILDCROSS with/without membrane.
Now, we still have to use this Speedcross 5 GTX thoroughly for you. Only in this way will we be able to confirm if it behaves as well as its technical record promise or not. Stay tuned and we will let you know after the 200-400km test which will also be published here.
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ,
CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO