SALOMON S/LAB PHANTASM CF: THE ASSITED PLATES REVOLUTION?
SALOMON S/LAB PHANTASM CF: THE ASSITED PLATES REVOLUTION? Our RUNNING SHOES section brings us today the latest information about the Salomon asphalt fliers of which we already gave you some details a few months ago here.
Today finally, we have all the official data, to be able to show you a more exhausting technical analysis of these S / Lab Phantasm CF that will be available in some markets from May 2022, for a price of € 200 and come with 228 grams of weight, a height of 35mm / 26mm, a drop of 9 mm and the new Energy Surge, light and reactive foam resulting from the combination of EVA and olefinic fiber [OBC] that offers lasting cushioning and return of energy with rebound.
SALOMON S/LAB PHANTASM CF:
THE ASSITED PLATES REVOLUTION?
200€ | 228 GR. | 9MM DROP
Salomon Road Running finally debuts the rigid plates this 2022, while evolving its already well-known Salomon Sonic range of great success. After the pioneering Salomon S Lab Phantasm 2021, now Salomon offers us a more reactive and comfortable version of its elite road model that I presented last year.
It is a pure flying to compete, which is complemented by its sister SALOMON PHANTASM, more relaxed and with more support.
According to the technical sheet, we have 228g on the scale for a stack height of 35mm in front and 26mm in the heel, for a price of € 200.
SALOMON RUNNING 2022
As you will surely remember in recent weeks we have been presenting the novelties of the French brand of both the asphalt shoes Salomon Running 2022, Salomon Trail Running 2022, as the S / LAB 2022 range and even Salomon Hiking 2022.
But what do these new Salomon shoes have in common for this 2022? The use of the so-called Energy Blade that activates forward propulsion, smooth and stable transitions on the trails.
But what exactly is this Energy Blade? Well, we’ll try to explain it. The Energy Blade has been introduced by Salomon to reduce the gap opened by carbon plates that have been in other brands for years.
To do this, Salomon has developed this new technology called Energy Blade that combines plates made of TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethanes) together with the new Fuze Surge foam to adopt an original approach to the development of carbon-coated footwear.
But before we continue with the details, let’s look at the technical sheet.
SALOMON S/LAB PHANTASM CF: DATA SHEET
- Price: 200,00 €
- Weight: 228g
- Stack Height: 35mm/26mm
- Drop: 9 mm. Somewhat lower than other plate rivals.
- Midsole: Foam Energy surge + Energy Blade (composite fiber plate)
- Lace system: normal cords
- Sole: Road Contagrip®
- Use: competition, runners with good technique. All distances up to marathon.
SALOMON S/LAB PHANTASM CF: HIGHLIGHTS
It is what we would popularly called “flying” shoes to run on asphalt, intended for an “elite” runner or for those who can adapt to these missiles, light that will surely help us reach speeds that break records and a return of energy of first.
The S/LAB Phantasm CF features the toughest Energy Blade composite fibre in the Salomon range, for explosive momentum and powerful propulsion, as well as the technical teamwork of the flexible Energy Surge foam and Reverse Camber sole geometry for smooth transitions.
- ENERGY BLADE: Energy Blade is a lightweight TPU plate built into the springy midsoles. Thanks to a unique synergy with the midsole foam and geometry, it activates forward propulsion and ensures smooth, stable transitions in all trail conditions.
- ENERGY SURGE: Made up of one of our softest EVA compounds and 30% natural rubber, Fuze Surge foam is pillowy for instant comfort and responsive enough to keep rebound levels high. Engineered using less artificial polymers, this midsole compound delivers a more earth-conscious, smooth yet dynamic stride. As with the Pulsar saga and the Energy Surge foam midsole, we expect the same softness as the preceding two which Salomon says provides 40% more responsiveness than their “prior” foams, we can assume as compared to Energy Cell+ but will confirm.
- REVERSE CHAMBER: Inspired by Salomon’s ski heritage, this curved midsole geometry helps you feel like you are floating over the ground and the three shoes are bulit with it
SALOMON S/LAB PHANTASM CF: UPPER
- Matryx®: This patented technology upper is weaved in with aramid fiber which offers a comfortable and efficient foot mapping support.
- Internal SensiFit™: Invisible from the outside, the Sensifit cradles the foot from the midsole to the lacing system, providing a secure, snug, and virtually customized fit all around the foot.
- Molded EVA sockliner: A molded sockliner that improves comfort by mimicking the foot’s natural shape.
- Regular laces: Traditional lacing system with eyelets.
SALOMON S/LAB PHANTASM CF: MIDSOLE
- Energy Surge: Lightweight, responsive foam created by combining EVA and Olefin [OBC] to deliver long-lasting cushion and bouncy energy return.
- Energy Blade CF: Energy Blade is engineered to propel you forwards. The stiff composite fiber plate fused into the midsole ensures snappy toe-offs and strong propulsion for a fast-paced experience.
- Reverse Camber: Inspired by Salomon’s ski heritage, this curved midsole geometry helps you feel like you are floating over the ground.
Road Contagrip®: Our Road Contagrip® combines flat, wide lugs for grip on flat, hard surfaces, with a compound that balances durability and adhesion. Ideal for road running.
Until now, the “great asphalters” had been the dominators of the great marathons and IRONMAN tests, with HOKA, Asics and Nike always in the top positions, although, as we have been seeing and we have shown you here, 2022 can be a different year, because there is a lot and where to choose, and these S/ LAB Phanstam CF are a clear example of this evolution in running shoes.
Not very bulky, nor heavy and with a cut, if possible more traditional and similar to the most traditional athetic shoes of recent years promise great records, thanks to the midsole in conjunction with the TPU plate, the most rigid of the entire Salomon range for this 2022.
With this paradigm shift, which involves rigid plates, which almost all brands already mount on some of their models, both for competition and training. In fact, here we have presented many of them, the brands, including Salomon have been forced to also evolve and incorporate the latest technology in the materials and construction of their shoes, to be up to the circumstances such as the sub 2 hours marathon of Eliud Kipchoge.
Thus, as we have seen in the analysis, all brands that mount carbon, fiber or TPU plates move in a price range of € 200-250 and the weight varies from the lightest Asics with 184 g to the “heavier” Hoka with 239 g. and these Salomons are in between with those € 200 and 228grams and, if I may, they are the “least bulky” along with the Saucony Endorphin Pro 2.
Perhaps, as we said above, the paradigm shift will make us see marathoners and triathletes wearing Salomn in their next competitions. Time will tell us that, in between, we will continue to look for news and analyze them for you here in trailrunningspain.com
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ,
CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO