SIERRE-ZINAL 2021 (7th August): WMRA WORLD CUP & GOLDEN TRAIL SERIES.
SIERRE-ZINAL: 1 DAY OR 1 MONTH! In 2020, faced with unprecedented circumstances, the SZ organising committee maintained its resolve to keep the flame going, crafting a different version of the race.
Sierre-Zinal was held as a free form month-long event abiding by the restrictions imposed by the health situation. However, a month-long event in no way conjures the same thrills and euphoria as our iconic one-day race. Which is why SZ organisers wish to resume the regular SZ format as soon as the situation allows. As the sanitary situation remains unpredictable, we are offering a project that will enable all mountain race fans to live as exciting an SZ experience as possible in 2021.
The Covid 19 pandemic and its ramifications have sadly become part and parcel of our lives. As such, we assume participants in the 2021 race can equally adapt to the evolving health situation and go along with a race format that is also liable to change.
Here you can see a video with some highlights of the 2019 event, won by Kilian Jornet and Mayde Mathys.
SIERRE-ZINAL 2021: THE CONCEPT
Registrants to the 48th edition of Sierre-Zinal are fully cognizant of the fact that the race format is liable to change:
- A one-day race is our priority: SZ will be held on August 7th 2021.
- New: Please note that Sierre-Zinal is taking place on a Saturday (a small departure from the traditional second Sunday in August).
- A free form month-long event will be organized if and only if the health situation is such that large gatherings are not permitted. This event would take place from Wednesday 2 August to Sunday 12 September 2021. The organising committee will make a decision by June 30th2021.
- As we told you in our last article, Sierre-Zinal 2021 will be part of the WRMA Mountain Running World Cup.
FEES AND REFUND
Should the committee change the race’s classic format into a month-long event, registrants may expect partial entry fee refunds. However, a format change does not warrant a full refund.
- For runners who opt for hotel and training clinic packages (4%) registration opens on Monday 1 February at 12:00 pm (midday).
- For Sierre and Anniviers residents (8%) registration opens on Sunday 14 February at 12:00 pm (midday).
- For all other entrants (88%) registration opens on Friday 2 April at 12:00 pm (midday). TBD. Registration details will be published in due time.
SIERRE ZINAL (31K/D+2000M):
This 31k/+2,000m test hosts more than 4,000 entries, with a trace that allows fights between pure mountain runners and other asphalt corridors or orientation, with extreme competitiveness and superlative rhythms. Ricardo Mejía and Kilian are their living legends, with five victories the first and seven the second.
Sierre Zinal is a test that runs in the Swiss Valais region. It runs linking the villages of Sierre (585m) with Zinal (1685m) by a layout that has its roof in the 2,425m of Nava. The race thus adds 31km of travel for a positive elevation of 2,000m and a cumulative descent of 800m. Records fell in 2019 during an apotheotic edition and today belong to nothing less than Kilian Jornet and Maude Mathys.
SIERRE ZINAL, THE TRACK: The route of this classic Swiss is suitable for fast and powerful runners because it lacks significant technical sections, thus giving rise every year to beautiful duels between pure mountain runners with those who come from asphalt or even orientation tests. So, it’s one of the first tests where we’re watching great African runners fight for victory year after year.
In addition, the Sierre-Zinal allows to enjoy great alpine panoramas, being called “the race of the five fourmiles” since during the tour participants will be able to see the Weisshorn (4 506 m), Zinalrothorn (4 221 m), Ober Gabelhorn (4 073 m), the Matterhorn (4 478 m) and the Dent Blanche (4 357 m).
SIERRE-ZINAL 2021: PART OF THE 2021 WMRA WORLD CUP
As announced a couple of weeks ago, this year WRMA Wolrd Cup will have Sierre-Zinal as one of the 16 races that will, hopefully, celebrate all aorund the globe in 2021.
The races are all open for every runner to participate and join in the World Cup competition. The more races you run, the more points you will get towards a higher World Mountain Ranking! WMRA would like to wish all people involved the best of health in these difficult times.
Summary 2021 World Cup key facts:
12 Event locations
16 Races in 3 categories
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ,
CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO