SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX: THE GREAT UPHILL RUNNING SHOE WITH NEW GORE-TEX FOR WINTER.
SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX: Goretex membrane for the great climber mountain racing shoes. Our TRAIL RUNNING GEAR section recently introduced you to the new Salomon Cross 2020 range. The four models are: Salomon Speedcross 5; Salomon Wildcross; Salomon Supercross Blast and Salomon Alphacross Blast. For winter, all four versions are now coming with GTX .
The Salomon Speedcross 5 GTX arrives as the most suitable for maximum performance. It comes with a price of 160€, for 340gr, with 10mm drop and a ground height 20-30mm. The set is topped by its new Contragrip TA sole with 6mm lugs. Let’s go with the technical analysis by Mayayo.
SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX. REVIEW BY MAYAYO.
The winter version arrives for 2020 of this already iconic silhouette of mountain races. And that sharp wedge with narrow, aggressive lugs and a lot of wedge back has not only triumphed as a tool for many elite runners. Also, for several years, it was common to see it in bars and clubs in the middle of the world, for its image.
For this year, the unique adjustment is maintained, contrasted from the Speedcross. It also keep its well-known grip and precise adjustment that have turned this shoe into an icon. The Quicklace combined with its peculiar shape fit the foot impeccably, although it is not comfortable for all runners. As for winter protection, this SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX features a new GORE-TEX design with a floating tongue looking to make it more comfortable and stylize the look of the shoe. Let’s go with the details.
SALOMON SPEEDCROSS GTX (130€ / 290GR/ DROP 8MM)
- Price 160 €, Share price with the Wildcross GTX, 20€ more expensive than the Super Cross Blast and Alphacross Blast . The GORE-TEX version is 30€ more than the Speedcross without membrane.
- DROP 10MM High, but that’s the Speedcross. Part of its essence. In great uphill your Achilles tendon will thank you.
- WEIGHT: 340 GRAMS. It weighs 30gr more than the Wildcross GTX, but barely 12 grams more than its sister Speedcross without membrane. A tiny overweight to have full booty of goretex.
- GROUND HEIGHT: 20-30mm. A higher height than most of the Salomon range, due to the prominence of lugs in front as well as the wide wedge back. It doesn’t mean that it is very muffled, but something more than its spartan predecessors, that when the lugs were almost gone, you stepped on the ground.
- OUTSOLE: Contagrip TA. The Contagrip rubber sole features deep multidirectional lugs to improve mud traction. Created for maximum grip on slippery, soft or uneven surfaces, this rubber balances durability and grip.
- HORMIFIT FIT: It looks so the feet are safe and comfortable. It works, now with a pellet more space, a couple of mm more width maybe.
- QUICKLACE CABLE: The Classic of the brand is still present here. It is not liked by everyone, but those who fit in, they value its adjustment of tough and minimalist laces. Easy to put on, easy to remove, no doubt.
- ENERGYCELL: It is a high bounce midsole compound that offers exceptional energy return, plus a great cushioning and durability.
- FOUR COLORS TO CHOOSE: Light and dark blue, brown and black.
SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX: HIGHLIGHTS.
If we take the differential pillars of this shoe, we must focus on two main ones: Weather protection with the Speedcross 5 GTX and the legendary aggressive grip that has made the Speedcross an icon of the last decade. Let’s go with the details of both.
Weather protection with the Speedcross 5 GTX. The new design of Gore-tex for this 2020 Speedcross 5 seeks to reduce the volume, improve comfort while maintaining complete climate protection.
Aggressive grip. The Contagrip TA sole features an aggressive lug pattern that allows them to penetrate both mud and humid areas or soft snow. Precise adjustment.
CONCLUSION SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 5 GTX, BY MAYAYO.
It is a reference uphill running shoe in the last 10 years for its tight fit and superb grip. But in return, little uncomfortable and narrow for a large part of the popular runners. Now, we see how millimetre by millimetre, in the last few years tries to open up to a wider range of use than the original Speedcross.
Polished details year after year to make it more comfortable and more stable. Less risky for the ankles. Therefor, if you never used the Speedcross because it didn’t fit you, you can try this version 5 now and see if you give them a second chance. On the other hand, if you are looking for soft ground shoe with tones of grip, while giving you more confidence … better then you bet for her sister, the SALOMON WILDCROSS with/without membrane.
Now, we still have to use this Speedcross 5 GTX thoroughly for you. Only in this way will we be able to confirm if it behaves as well as its technical record promise or not. Stay tuned and we will let you know after the 200-400km test which will also be published here.
SALOMON CROSS GTX: COMPARATIVE
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ,
CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO