INOV-8 ROCFLY™ G 390: WORLD FIRST GRAPHENE SOLE HIKING BOOTS.
INOV-8 ROCFLY™ G 390: WORLD FIRST GRAPHENE SOLE HIKING BOOTS. Our HIKING section bring us today the Premiere of the world first graphene technology hiking boots: inov-8 supercharge a Graphene revolution.
inov-8 has today unveiled the ROCFLY™ G 390, the world’s first-ever hiking boot with a Graphene enhanced foam, which it says will “supercharge feet.” The brand has moved quickly to meet the needs of the growing trends in long-distance hiking, multi-day trail walking and thru-hiking, with a lightweight, breathable boot that delivers endless cushioning and bounce.
INOV-8 ROCFLY™ G 390: WORLD FIRST GRAPHENE SOLE HIKING BOOTS.
Discovered in 2004 by scientists from The University of Manchester who later won the Nobel Prize in Physics, Graphene is the strongest – yet also the thinnest – material in the world. By infusing it into their G-FLY™ foam, inov-8 is promising a revolutionary underfoot experience that allows hikers to feel fresher for longer.
inov-8 first used Graphene in 2018 when launching GRAPHENE-GRIP™ rubber on the outsoles of its hiking, running and fitness shoes. Sales of its footwear featuring the tough-gripping wonder-rubber have surged globally over the last three years.
Earlier this year the brand first launched G-FLY™ Graphene foam – which delivers 25% greater energy return – when debuting it on the award-winning TRAILFLY™ ULTRA G 300 MAX trail running shoe, that we presented you here. Building on that success, inov-8 will now use it in a hiking product for the first time.
G-FLY™ foam is not the only patent-pending technology used by inov-8 on the ROCFLY™ G 390, with GRAPHENE-GRIP™ and ADAPTER-FLEX™ also included. The latter is a cleverly positioned 10mm underfoot groove that – unlike on more rigid cushioned hiking boots – allows the feet to adapt, react and mould to uneven terrain with agility.
INOV-8 ROCFLY™ G 390: DATA SHEET
- Price: £175 / $210 / €200
- Available to buy: October 14th. Pre-Orders: From October 7th at http://www.inov-8.com and via retailers
- Weight: 390g (average weight across size curve)
- Drop: 6mm (heel to forefoot differential)
- Full stack height (midsole & outsole): 30mm heel / 24mm forefoot
- Lug depth: 4mm
- Fit: Grade 5 (inov-8 fit scale in the toe box is 1-5, with 5 being the widest).
- Patent-pending technologies: GRAPHENE-GRIP™, G-FLY™, ADAPTER-FLEX™
- Colors: black-blue for men and pink-black for women
- Intended use: Long-distance hiking and adventures
INOV-8 ROCFLY™ G 390: HIGHLIGHTS
- GRAPHENE-GRIP™ rubber delivers the world’s toughest grip – insane sticky traction AND increased durability, no compromise. 50% stronger, 50% more elastic, 50% harder wearing – all extending the life of the outsole.
- 35 multi-directional 4mm deep lugs on each shoe have been meticulously shaped and positioned to improve both propulsion at the front and braking at the rear.
- Measured spacing between the lugs prevents debris from sticking to the outsole, while water dispersion channels and rubber dimples give extra grip on slick surfaces.
- Vertical grooves cut into the rubber allow the foot’s metatarsal bones to move more independently, aiding adaptability and flexible grip when hiking over uneven terrain.
- Graphene-enhanced G-FLY™ foam is less resistant to wear, and so retains its optimum levels of cushioned thickness and snappy energy return for longer, helping long-distance thru-hikers and adventurers feel fresher over greater distances.
- The foam gives 25% more energy return. Laboratory tests show that even when the foam is aged to mimic extensive use, it still delivers more energy return than some unaged foams.
- Stack heights of 30mm in the heel and 24mm in the forefoot, help make this our most cushioned boot ever. A 6mm drop hits the sweet spot for long-distance comfort.
- A 10mm deep ADAPTER-FLEX™ groove allows the boot to adapt, react and mould to uneven terrain for a responsive, agile feel that is free of rigidity but full of cushioning. It is positioned to work in tandem with the foot’s midtarsal joint to increase flex and mobility.
- Flexible fit of the knitted upper adjusts to the natural swelling of the foot when hiking long distances. Lightweight, breathable and quick drying, this super-comfortable boot is designed to go all day, every day.
- Extra durable overlays protect hard wearing zones against debris and vegetation.
- Lacing system has been specifically designed for fluid lace movement when putting the boot on or taking it off. The top speed hooks on either side include grooves that grip the laces when tied, aiding a secure hold.
- Wide toe-box, plush tongue and padded collar all enhance the overall hike comfort, while a double-layered toe guard increases protection against rocky terrain.
INOV-8 ROCFLY™ G 390: GREAT BRITAIN’S NATIONAL THREE PEAKS HIKE RECORD
Amongst its many testers has been inov-8 ambassador James Forrest, who recently used the ROCFLY™ G 390 boots to set a new record time for a solo and self-supported hike of Great Britain’s National Three Peaks. James Forrest, scaled the highest mountains in Scotland (Ben Nevis), England (Scafell Pike) and Wales (Snowdon) – plus all the miles in between them –on a 500-mile adventure that took him just 16 days, 15 hours and 39 minutes.
The 37-year-old scaled the highest mountains in Scotland (Ben Nevis), England (Scafell Pike) and Wales (Snowdon) – plus all the miles in between them – on a 500-mile adventure that took him just 16 days, 15 hours and 39 minutes.
James, who holds multiple other long-distance hiking records, said: “The foam is amazingly springy and cushioned, almost propelling you forward with good rebound and energy return. The rubber is ultra grippy and the upper gives out-of-the-box comfort. Being non-waterproof, they dry really quickly and breathe well too – my preferred approach.”
INOV-8 ROCFLY™ G 390: STATEMENT BY INOV-8 FOUNDER
inov-8 founder Wayne Edy, whose UK Lake District based company remain the only one in the world able to use Graphene in sports and hiking footwear, said: “We continue to carve our own trails, daring to be different from the rest and leading the way with innovation. The ROCFLY™ G 390 is our latest example of that, delivering world-first technologies in a boot that will help hikers feel fresher for longer and supercharge their feet for endless adventure.”
Wayne added: “I’m immensely proud of the huge team effort behind this new boot. We’ve worked incredibly hard with The University of Manchester and leading footwear industry veteran Doug Sheridan in developing new innovations – something we plan to supercharge even further in 2022 and beyond.”
INOV-8 ROCFLY™ G 390: CONCLUSION
At first glance the boots shows a mixture of robustness, flexibility and adaptability to the foot completelly similar to the TRAILFLY ULTRA G 300 MAX as it seems they use the smae chasis. For the moment, what the brand ensures in relation to the use of graphene: greater durability, greater energy return and adaptability to the terrain without losing properties over kilometers and time.
Lets wait to get them and being able to tell you more about them!
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ,
CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO