UTMB DETECTED THREE “ABNORMAL” CASES 2021. TIGHTEN HEALTH CONTROLS AT UTMB 2022.
UTMB DETECTED THREE “ABNORMAL” CASES 2021. Our HEALTH AND SPORT section shares today the results of the UTMB 2021 health policy.
UTMB DETECTS THREE “ABNORMAL” CASES 2021.
TIGHTEN HEALTH CONTROL UTMB 2022.
According to the official statement issued yesterday by the organization, during the last UTMB 2021, the controls were distributed as follows:
- D-30: 59 controls carried out with participants in the 4 races UTMB®, CCC®, OCC, TDS®
- D-1: 94 controls carried out with participants in the 4 races UTMB®, CCC®, OCC, TDS®
- D 1: 30 finishers of the 4 races UTMB®, CCC®, OCC, TDS®
While no disqualifications were issued based on pre-race results (D-30 and D-1), elite saliva analyses at the end of the 2021 (D1) races revealed the presence of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in 3 different samples.
Although the dosage has not been detailed, the abuse of analgesics above the permitted daily medical doses is a high-risk medical practice.
QUARTZ PROGRAM: HEALTH CONTROL IN SPORT
After confronting the experts of the QUARTZ Event Program and not only due to the first year of implementation of these D 1 controls at the finish line, but also to a first infraction found, which could be related to the ignorance of these medical standards, the organization has decided not to sanction these 3 athletes.
However, for these athletes, any new infraction in a future race applying the QUARTZ Program will automatically result in disqualification or penalty. This is how the QUARTZ program works, which we have been informing you about year after year on this website. Full info in the video below
UTMB 2022: STRICTER NEW CONTROL RULES
It is fair to recognize that the UTMB Group has been a pioneer in protecting the health of participants and contributing to a clean sport. This is how we saw, for example, in that pioneering case of 2015 with a Hispanic American athlete.
It is in this sense, for 2022, like the UTMB® Mont-Blanc, the races of the future circuit of the UTMB World Series will implement the Quartz Event Program.
It is a much more affordable cost model than the official AEPSAD service in Spain, where the control of the first three men and women involves a cost of more than € 4,000.
To do this, according to the organization, an extensive information and awareness campaign will be carried out before with athletes from all over the world.
With this campaing, it is sought to make the idea that preserving their health and their sport is vital, so when participating in one of the races of the UTMB® World Series they will have to commit to the current health policy of the organization.
PROGRAM QUARTZ EVENT
To protect the health of the participants and contribute to a clean sport, the organization of the UTMB® Mont-Blanc has decided to incorporate since 2008 the QUARTZ Event Program that involves specific medical standards. In particular, runners are asked not to participate in one of the races in case of use of:
- In the 60 days prior to the start of the competition and during it:
- Intravenous iron infusion
- In the 7 days prior to the start of the competition and during it:
- Intravenous infusion
- Inhalation of a gas
- Substance subject to an Authorization for Use for Therapeutic Purposes (AUT) according to the list of prohibitions published annually by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)
- All glucocorticoids regardless of mode of administration
- Thyroid synthesis hormones except in case of partial or total ablation of the thyroid or hypothyroidism of medical origin.
- In the 24 hours prior to and during the start of the competition:
- Every beta-2-agonists regardless of mode of administration
- Any analgesic, including Tramadol and Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory (AINS) regardless of the mode of administration
- All substances included in the WADA Monitoring Program
To verify these good practices, different types of controls (blood, saliva, hair, urine) are carried out before and after the main races of the UTMB® Mont-Blanc: UTMB®, CCC®, OCC, TDS®.
UTMB 2022: OFFICIAL REGULATIONS
The official regulations of the UTMB Mont-Blanc stipulate that any unreasonable fault, presence of an unauthorized substance in an analysis.
Also sanctions are foreseen in case of rejection or transmission of erroneous information in relation to the QUARTZ Event program. This may result in the participant disqualification both before and after the competition.
It is in this sense that in 2022, like the UTMB® Mont-Blanc, the races of the future circuit of the UTMB® World Series will implement the Quartz Event Program.
An extensive information and awareness campaign will be conducted with athletes around the world before each race to remind them that preserving their health and sport is not an option.
In fact, when participating in one of the UTMB races® World Series will have to commit to the current health policy.
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ, CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO