HOKA TORRENT 2: SOLID, LIGHT, SPEEDY AND CLOSE TO THE GROUND.
HOKA TORRENT 2: solid, light speedy and close to the ground. Our TRAIL RUNNING SHOES section today we present the most “accessible” model by price and design for those who have never had Hoka shoes.
It is a fast and solid shoe, for short and medium distance runs up the mountain. Its 130€ price, for 264 grams, a ground height of 21mm in front and 26mm in the heel, make it the cheapest, lightest and most agile mountain shoes from Hoka. In return, it does not fit Vibram sole, but Hoka’s rubber.
Let’s go with the details analyzed by Mayayo, who has already used the original Torrent thoroughly at the time.
HOKA TORRENT 2: SOLID, LIGHT & SPEEDY
The HOKA TRAIL 2021 range features seven different shoes: You can see them all here as they are portrayed today by the official website of the brand. Complete the series an eighth passenger, in this case limited edition of the iconic Speedgoat.
HOKA ONE ONE: THE DESIGN PILLARS.
As you can see in the image above, almost all Hoka shoes (the Torrent as an exception) share basic principles: More than 25mm. cushioning, Contained weights (264-333gr), medium drop (4-5mm), rocker chassis and oversized sole in width that stabilizes ground height and better distributes weight. Light foam: Hoka remains true to its patented EVA rubber blend. They emphasize that it is more elastic, for better support and energy return. They also argue that it is more durable than traditional EVA. The foam has received different names, including RMAT and R-Bound, but the underlying chemistry is essentially the same. Rocker chassis: Translated into names like Meta-Rocker and the Active Foot Frame.
- The Meta-Rocker is a combination of a low heel tip drop and a rounded sole shape that, according to the house, complements the natural stride and helps to propel forward.
- The Active Foot Frame cradles the foot deeper into the shoe midsole, providing more support as you run. Hoka compares the design to sitting in a low bucket seat of a race car. And true, that peculiar adjustment made it narrow for many people to narrow their last years.
HOKA ONE ONE TORRENT 2. DATA SHEET:
- Price: 130€. The cheapest in the range, together with her step sister the Challenger ATR 6.
- Weight: 264gr. The lightest Hoka in the mountain range.
- Ground height and drop: Height 21mm/26mm.Drop 5mm. The most glued to the ground: More feeling of terrain.
- Sole: Hoka rubber. 5mm lugs.
- Stability and damping (1-3): 1/3 – 1/3. The only one with Profly damping, double density EVA.
HOKA ONE ONE TORRENT 2: PREFERENTIAL USE.
HOKA was born….different from its sisters. Without a doubt, it is the least Hoka shoe in the range. And we say it in a good way, for the most good. If the pillars of the brand design seen before make it very different on the market, this would be the perfect “transition” shoe to test without risk if you fare willing to “enter” in the HOka’s world for the first time.
What has changed in Torrent 2? Not much, when the first one got so right on so many things. The design of the Torrent 2 seeks to combine the cushioning that makes the brand different with the agility we expect from a mountain shoe.
That’s why, now, she’s the only one wearing the PROFLY midsole. It is a new development with double EVA densities that seeks a flexible tread and a start with great responsiveness.
They use a UNIFI recycled yarn cover repreve derived from plastic waste. The sole is in Hoka rubber, but at least it features re- reigning 5mm multidirectional lugs now to improve traction. A good solution to debut with Hoka, since they are suitable for a huge variety of terrains.
HOKA ONE ONE TORRENT 2: CONCLUSION.
Hoka bet this shoe three years ago, in 2018. And he was right. It is the lightest and most agile in the range, the one with the best touch of terrain.
Therefore, the least change of mindset requires anyone from other brands to come. It also bet at the time on a wider and more comfortable last than her sisters, another success. Your first sensations with them won’t get weird if you come from other, more classic brands.
And obviously you appreciate the comfort and ease of opening the box and going out to run with them, something that is usually a good sign in shoes for long distances. It is not the most suitable brand shoe for fast running, but even at paces of 4-4.30m/km on flat tracks or lowering, that weight of 265 grams does not penalize a popular runner in the slightest. Another detail is those 130 € that frame it as the most accessible hoka in specific shoes.
Cushioning and comfort are more than correct. It also stands out for its versatility, added to a correct grip and stability, which conveys confidence. If one day they were encouraged to put it on a better rubber sole, it would be barbaric. But whoever wants that has other sisters, like the Speedgoat 4 we pointed down.
HOKA ONE ONE TORRENT 2: ALTERNATIVES.
As always happens with brands with well-staggered catalogs, this Hoka Torrent 2 has some alternatives, without leaving home. If, on the other hand, we are looking for solutions with a different last and philosophy than Hoka, we propose two others very different from each other. Let’s go with the three…
- HOKA SPEEDGOAT 4:Tthe most logical alternative if you want to go to more in Hoka. It allows to give reed in more technical areas and make it cushioned. Plus a much better sole, the Vibram Megagrip. Jump in price at 140 euros but more quality. Ground height of 28mm front, 33mm at back, 5mm lugs that give us guarantee on soft ground. And weighing 312 grams. Weight and distance to the ground can be the two brakes when jumping into them.
- LA SPORTIVA KARACAL: A shoe also wide, comfortable. Stand out on firm ground. At the same price of 130€, but which in return weighs something else, up to 290 grams and offers a drop somewhat higher than 7mm and, above all, a good sole La Sportiva frixion blue. Not the best of italians, but far superior to Hoka rubber on firm ground.
- SALOMON WILDCROSS Another wide and comfortable shoe. It stands out on soft ground, unlike Karacal. At the same price of 130 € and also weighs something else, up to 290 grams. Offers more tact of terrain by being lower. Also a more prominent lugs and fit with endofit and cable lading so typical of the French brand. Again, the quality of this rubber is superior to Hoka rubber on soft ground.
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ,
CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO