BLACK DIAMOND DISTANCE WIND SHELL: WIND SHELL 98GR. HIGH QUALITY FOR MOUNTAIN AND TRAIL
BLACK DIAMOND DISTANCE WIND SHELL: WIND SHELL 98GR. HIGH QUALITY FOR MOUNTAIN AND TRAIL. Our TRAILRUNNING GEAR section brings us the full test review of a windbreaker already very wel stablished in the market, which continues to win fans for its excellent combination of lightness, solidity and excellent weight-protection ratio.
Its price is today between 100€- 120 € according to some shops, weighs only 98gr and stands out for its great protection of both wind and showers, thanks to a magnificent DWR detail. And coming from Black Diamond provides careful details for running, climbing, walking or even pedaling the mountain. We start the analysis by Mayayo.
BLACK DIAMOND DISTANCE WIND SHELL WINDBREAKER 98GR. HIGH QUALITY FOR MOUNTAIN AND TRAIL.
The modern windbreakers have managed to be a key garment in mountain racing. And much more. The continuous work of the big brands has achieved, year after year, lighter garments, which bulge less and yet… protect more.
At the time, for example Patagonia Houdini was quite a step forward, because maintaining the quality of fabrics, patterning and finishing of the brand, he took a step forward with a new deperlante exterior lick (DURABLE Water Repellent – DWR). That’s where most U.S. brands have been progressing, while Europe polished tighter and tighter patterns before running harder and better with them. No better, no worse just two alternative solutions.
In fact, in the last few years, the Salomon Agile and the Raidlight Hyperlight hoodless windbreakers have been with me the most, both in race and on mountain trainings of all kinds. And yet…this Black Diamond Distance Wind Shell and it has been a discover that, although less tight to run, it does not create any problem when runnig and running.
At my popular level, of course. But in return, weighing almost the same and folding better even than others, it tucks me in better when things twist. Let’s go over the data sheet to understand why.
BLACK DIAMOND DISTANCE WIND SHELL. DATA SHEET.
- Price: 100-120 euros according to offers. Being a veteran garment has advantages. There are many good deals to choose from.
- Weight: 98 grams. Feather weight, especially for this level of finishes, with zippers, hood, tanca and more. Integrated full hood:
- Hood with visor, capable for helmet and adjustable. Elactive adjustes at cuffs, neck
- Extra-long patterning to cover kidneys and stomach
- Deperlante DWR top range: Breathable GTI protection, an eco-friendly PFC-free water repellent finish
- Solid Nylon 15D fabric with ripstop so that a puncture does not go further and cannot tear the fabric.
- Multiple colors and sizes to choose from. See below.
BLACK DIAMOND DISTACE WIND SHELL: HIGHLIGHTS.
We’ve been shooting together for almost two months: sunny days… With fierce wind, light showers, sea lion storms and even hail and sleet. As I progressed, I was by good surprised by its weight-protection ratio and has become my most common companion for running, walking or cycling when the weather does not require to wear a membrane jacket.
No windbreaker can replace the protection of a good membrane jacket when things get bad, bad. Your job is to tuck it in emergency on a little silly days or on short mountain outings. But the thermal, physical and waterproof-breathability protection of the membrane jacket is something else, so they weigh two and three times more. That’s why they cost two and three times more, too, than windbreakers.
THE BLACK DIAMOND DISTANCE WIND SHELL: WHY I LIKED IT
- It is designed for mountain, mountain: It was born to provide maximum protection against light weather in the mountains. And of course, coming from an expert brand in mountaineering, this Distance Wind Shell combines superior strength with superlative breathability.
- Extremely light: 98 grams. It bulks more than others, but it weighs even less. And of course, with this ultralight design leave me with no excuses to put it in the backpack… or even in the trikot pocket or trousers at each activity. Above all, this grey, rainy and cold spring that we are enjoying by the Guadarrama.
- A magnificent deperlante: Since Black Diamond they boast of having premiered here association with Green Theme International. Thanks to this, the BD Distance Wind Shell debuted a brilliant breathable water protection technology from GTI. A great water repellent finish, as you can see with the drops that slip and fall to the ground in the video. And besides, PFC-free. Eco-friendly Segú brand, is superior in performance compared to any other rival DWR category C-6, C-8 or C 0 DWR.
- Great durability: A garment with several years already on the market, which has obtained almost unanimous impressions. Its technical performance is up to its durability. The reason, according to the brand, is that GTI technology is permanently hyperfused to the individual fibers of the fabric. So, in this case unlike lifelong windbreakers, there is no need to renew the jacket with an additional spray or wash finish.
- Fold quickly and easily into your own pocket: Details make it a perfect emergency piece for mountain missions with a chest pocket that functions like a sack of things and attaches to a harness with a carabiner.
BLACK DIAMOND DISTANCE WIND SHELL: PHOTOS BY MAYAYO.
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ, CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO