SALOMON CROSS OVER: THE SPEEDCROSS PHILOSOPHY APPROACHES THE HIKING COMMUNITY.
SALOMON CROSS OVER: THE SPEEDCROSS PHILOSOPHY APPROACHES THE HIKING COMMUNITY.. Our SHOES section presents today another novelty in the catalogue of the French brand for 2021-22. Heir to the speeecross philosophy, now comes a very peculiar fast hiking shoe.
In the spring/summer 2021 season, Salomon has made improvements to several of its trail running shoes and will continue to offer a footwear solution for everyone from new runners to trail experts who want to tackle technical terrain at high speeds. In the last days we have showed you three of the bets from the French brand in the trailruning show sfere: the Salomon Pulsar S-Lab , the Salomon XT 6 and the Salomon Ultltra Glide (expected for 2022). Today we go with this shoe that, for visual purposes, shares an image of family funtaly with the Cross Pro, without a doubt. But with a more “quiet” approach to use.
SALOMON CROSS OVER: THE SPEEDCROSS PHILOSOPHY IS APPROACHING THE HIKING COMMUNITY.
The Cross Over range recently launched by Salomon seeks to apply the successful Speedcross philosophy of maximum grip and traction on soft ground to all trails. If in the mountain races this 2021 we already have the Speedcross 5 as a classic of the saga and with the Salomon Cross Pro as a new version with newer technologies, in the hiking range Salomon has happened the same.
The Salomon Cross Over family has two models, with high top and low cane. As you can see in the image below, the first is nicknamed “Chukka” and both carry this winter Goretex membrane.
The official presentation of the brand says: Inspired by the iconic SPEEDCROSS trail running shoe, the CROSSOVER CHUKKA GTX is adherent, daring and adventurous. Developed especially for hiking, it combines aggressive and durable grip with the exact amount of waterproof protection, so you can fly with agility even through the most muddy terrain. Given the brand’s approach, let’s now go with the data.
SALOMON XA CROSS OVER: DATA SHEET.
- Price: 130€ low cane gtx 150€ high top gtx. An average price, within what are hiking shoes with high-end membrane.
- Weight: 360 grams for men low cane 380 high cane, with membrane included. More or less the same as the classic XA Pro alpine, if you look at the membrane version as well. Without it it will be about 20 grams less.
- Drop: 10mm, A high drop, 1mm lower than the classic reference. Even so, it makes them a shoe not very demanding in the technical and that allows us to heel if we get tired by singing many hours with them.
- Ground height: 10mm front and 16mm at back, plus 6-8mm studs depending on the area. A shoe quite glued to the ground. It doesn’t cushion much in front, of course. But it doesn’t fall behind, thanks to the wide drop. And so, being glued to the ground in front gives us a lot of tact of ground.
- Clamping: Extremely firm, with several shoulder straps that “fix” the instep plus the chassis.
- Lace by classic laces, a novelty inside the house that has made the cable its usual lace.
- Shank: Molded part between sole and midsole offering torsional stiffness and stability at a lower level than 4D Advanced Chassis. DO NOT look for the alpine stiffness of the XA Pro, but let us step on softer and more comfortable to make more kilometers.
- Lugs: High prominence, 6-8mm. With Contagrip MD rubber. They will go well on firm, soft ground, as long as the mud or snow is not particularly deep. Contagrip MD rubber gives a little more durability over the CONtagrip MA of the XA Pro.
- Sole: Oversized width 1cm front and 0.5cm at back. The trapezoidal shape of the chassis and the wide sole makes them hyperestable. At the expense, yes, if I’m not the most agile in the class. That’s what other sisters are for.
SALOMON CROSS OVER: CONCLUSION Y ALTERNATIVES.
A model for running and walking with full confidence in areas of soft terrain of the most varied. By weight, rigidity and structure it is located right on a complementary step within the SALOMON range between a more technical treparrocas shoe such as the SALOMON XA PRO and the more hiking version for firm terrain that represents the SALOMON ODISSEY.
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ,
CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO
Read the article in Spanish HERE
Post by Héctor Rubio for Trailrunningspain