OLIGHT H-37 WAVE: A 2,500 LUMENS COMPACT HEADLIGHT FOR TRAIL, MOUNTAIN, MTB AND SKI.
OLIGHT H-37 WAVE: A LIGHTHOUSE 2, 500 LUMENS. Our TRAIL RUNNING GEAR section focuses today on the OLIGHT H-37 WAVE Headlight, created in 2007, the OLight brand of headlamps has been growing little by little and today we can consider it already a reference inthe sector. We already showed you in this article what should be taken into consideration when choosing a headlight.
The OLIGHT H37 WAVE arrives with up to 2,500 lumens of power, which can be use for up to 2 hours. Or, opt for a more conservative model, where we will have a light reserve of 15 lumens for a maximum of 90 hours. In return, its powerful 5,200Mah battery is not placed at your head, as the total weight of the set goes to 435gr. A headlight that will be loved by those who do high-speed technical activities at night: Whether it’s running down at full throttle, mountain biking descents or even night skiing.
OLIGHT H37 WAVE ( 140€ / 435 grams / 2.500 lumens)
Every headlight must firstly and foremost be reliable, never break or shut down. The following key factors will be its autonomy, power, comfort and price, of course, but all of them become secondary in relation to the need to always have light on the mountain at night. Today we see a torch with superlative power, which we can wear in all our mountain races… and also amortize on any trekking, MTB and even for speleology activities. Compact and well finished, its power of up to 2,500 lumens gives us absolute confidence in almost any situation and at any speed. Although only for 2h if we always go full light.
WHAT IS A SUPER HEADLIGHT OF 1,500-2,500 LUMENS FOR?
In my personal case, I have been with its “little brother” for almost a year now, the 1,500 lumens OLIGHT H27W that applies the same philosophy of battery, tape and assembly, but for less weight and power. With it we have opened a new field of night activities, for two reasons:
- The first, the expanded confidence that gives that jet of light and how much you get to see forward, more than 100 meters: It has served us to go down running through technical areas in the middle of the night, such as the Vertical Kilometer of Chamonix seeing more than a hundred meters in front; getting on tough trails with the bike at night… and wishing I can also take him skiing under the moon, when the snows return. So, in my experience is great added value for this type of activities in comparison with the 500/600 lumens that are the usual line on the trailrunning headlights.
- The second: Go down more quietly for having a greater time reserve. Sometimes, we mis-calculate and run the risk of running out of light in the middle of the mountain. With this headlight, that risk doesn’t go away, of course. But logically it comes down a lot because burning your entire battery in one night is not easy, unless you’re wasting the light at all times.
Here is a photo from this September, with the Olight H27W of 1,500 lumens: cycling at night on the Guadarrama, Madrid mountains, on a twisted path in the middle of the pine forest. With that power we were able to go at a good pace and without scares. Imagine now, put it in 1,000 more lumens, as is the case with the new signing that we present today…. Let’s go with the details of the brand OLIGHT H37 WAVE.
The OLIGHT H37 WAVE is a compact, powerful and intelligent front that produces 2,500 lumens of white light, and has three levels of brightness. The Olight H37W features three LEDs, two of them flooding and one long distance. Its focused beam gives it a range of up to 212 meters so it is ideal for all kinds of outdoor activities where we want to combine long-distance vision with a wide autonomy. The rechargeable battery (5200mAh / 7.4V) adds the main weight of the 435gr of the set, as it represents more than 300gr on its own. It comes with a belt clip to secure it.
Olight H-37W Data Sheet:
- Maximum power: 2,500 lumens (12,100 candles)
- Weight: 435gr with battery included.
- Light type: Double focus to choose from, alone or combined. Short and wide focus / Narrow and long focus (up to 212m)
- Power: rechargeable lithium battery by electric grid. CORE 5,200mAh – 7.4V (Charger Included)
- Sealing: IP X4 (water projection resistant)
- Notice reserve last 10% acoustic battery.
- Lighting modes (3): Three modes, from highest to lowest power
- Battery life: 2 to 45 hours. 2500 Lumens – 2h; Long Light 1000 Lumens 3h;
- 50 Lumens 80h; 100 Lumens 55h; Survival 15 lumens 90h.
- Working temperature -10 oC to 40oC
- Accessories included: Headband ; 5200mAh 7.4v battery; AC Charger ; supply line
CONCLUSION: SUPERLATIVE POWER, FOR MULTI-SPORTS USE: Mountain races, skiing, trekking and even speleology. The OLIGHT H37 WAVE is a gun that you need to know when and how to use it. This is a compact front, easy to carry and recharge, but ultra powerful. It produces 2,500 lumens of white light, and has three levels of brightness. For all this, the Olight H37 WAVE has three LEDs, two of them flooding and one long distance. Its focused beam gives it a range of up to 212 meters so it is ideal for all kinds of outdoor activities where we want to combine long-distance vision with a wide autonomy.
The rechargeable battery (5200mAh / 7.4V) is the main weight of the 435gr of the set, providing more than 300gr on its own. That’s why it comes with a belt clip to secure it so we have to carry it on a backpack or similar. Eye-catching certainly that maximum power of up to 2500 lumens, which represents four or five times more than the 500-600 lumens with which most of the peloton has been handled to this day in the ultra trail. Also its highest light intensity of 12,000 candles, allowing the torch to project light up to 212 meters away. Original and bright details are even the speed and ease of battery change.
The best thing about this OLIGHT H-37 WAVE, in my opinion, will be to have a single lamp for demanding activities in the middle of the night, by long or technical. It is light and compact enough to use on the bike or walking regularly, although I find it somewhat more difficult to see that extra weight in mountain races, with its small brother of 1,500 lumens.
It provides plenty of power for when it’s time to go fast, such as on descents running, with the bike or skiing. Thus we invest in making possible all kinds of activities related to the mountain such as hiking or orientation, and also with speleological activities (exploration of caves). The associated challenge, logically, is to get the balance between high power 500-600 lumens should suffice on normal ground while mountain running, versus the hours we spend with the operand.
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ,
CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO
Read the Spanish article HERE.
Posted by Héctor Rubio for Trailrunningspain