SALOMON WINGS SKY: THE WINGS SAGA IS BACK! NEW TRAIL RUNNING SHOE WITH GREAT PROTECTION AND GRIP.
SALOMON WINGS SKY: the Wings Saga is back! New trail running shoe with great protection and grip. Solid, tough and with good grip. Our TRAIL SHOES section presents today another great novelty of the catalog of the French brand. The 2021 version of that Salomon Wings saga arrives with which back in the years 2007-2012 we saw Kilian fly and win in mountain races around the world.
This Salomon Wings Sky debuts with a 130€ price, for a weight of 310 grams. Complete the package an 8mm drop for a ground height of 16.5mm in front and 24.5mm behind, all footwear with Contragrip TA sole and 4.5mm lugs. Let’s go with the technical analysis by Mayayo.
SALOMON WINGS SKY:
NEW TRAIL RUNNING SHOE WITH GREAT PROTECTION AND GRIP
The Salomon Wings saga was born as a very protected technical shoe, to run long with good grip. His existence was unstoppable. In fact, to this day Kilian Jornet still holds the record achieved back in 2009 in the Olla de Núria running with a pair of these shoes. We will see if finally, in the Olla de Nuria 2021 that arrives this weekend athletes like Jan Margarit, Davide Magnini or Thibaut Baronian, finally manage to snatch it … twelve years later.
With the passage of time, the SALOMON WINGS family has been coming and going in the catalogue of the French brand. Today we have two of their classics back as sneakers for daily use, maintaining that if, their sporty functionality when they are taken out into the forest.
They are the Salomon XT Wings 2 and it sister the Salomon XT6. But in addition to these classic reborn, Salomon has wanted to recover the ensign in this brand new SALOMON WINGS SKY that arrives as a new trail running shoe, for sports use.It does so with a wide range of three colors and versions with/without goretex.
The brand has in fact wanted to officially present it like this: As your adventures take you higher and farther, your feet need a shoe that offers the right grip and support. The WINGS SKY adapts the tread to ups and downs with grip in abundance, a sturdy chassis and resistant and breathable fabrics. You’ll feel like you’ve got everything ready to go out and explore. We start with these photos in detail and then we go with their technical data sheet.
SALOMON WINGS SKY: DATA SHEET.
- Price: 130€. Average price within the French range. There are basic versions of initiation from € 80 as Trailster 2, there are also for elites for all, such as the Salomon Pulsar 2 that goes up to € 200. This Wings Sky is in the most usual peloton of the French 120-130€.
- Weight: 310 grams. It is a tough shoe for what is worn today, where elites often wear feathers below 200 grams. In return, that if, we have a shoe with firm reinforcements and that bets on lasting us a lot and well covered.
- Drop: 8mm, A medium-high drop. A shoe not very demanding in the technical, which allows us to heel if we get tired of taking many hours with them. It gets more shot for those who do not have a more polished technique, as it happens when we bet on shoes with drops 0-4mm
- Ground height: 16.5mm in front and 24.5mm behind. A shoe quite glued to the ground, with a classic style in Salomon to have “touch” of terrain in the mountain. It doesn’t particularly dampen up front, of course. But it’s not far behind, thanks to the wide drop. And therefore, in the mountains we will have a good combination for those looking for safety without forcing rhythms to the top.
- Advanced Chassis Clamping: The classic that made the Wings a myth for the stable and safe. Extremely firm, with various straps that “fix” the instep plus the chassis.
- Quicklace cable laces: The Brand Classic is still here. Not everybody likes it, but whoever fits it, highly values its sturdy, minimalist lace fit for pulling. Easy to put on, easy to remove, no doubt.
- Lugs: Medium-high prominence, 4.5mm. They go somewhat better on soft ground, without bothering the firm. A good compromise, as long as it is not especially deep mud or snow.
- Sole: Rubber sole Contagrip TA, premium grip on durability. The exterior logo informs us that it carries the M&S variant, that is for mud and snow (Mud & Snow)
- It arrives in three colorful versions, which you can see below.
SALOMON WINGS SKY CONCLUSION.
The SALOMON WINGS SKY shoe tries to adapt to today’s popular runners the great leap forward that it meant in protection and grip of the original saga. A shoe that is not light, but whose protection will be appreciated by those who want to make short and medium trips in real mountains. Or those looking for extra protection against ankle problems or rock hits.
It combines a medium-low damping, with a standard last width and a very high protection. Therefore, the type user will be the popular mountain runner of basic or medium level, who seeks to move quite a lot with them every week, taking full advantage of their durability, they will tread with dignity in all terrains, mud, snow, track and trail, but perhaps where they give us more confidence with respect to other sisters is in stony terrain.
Welcome is the return of this SALOMON WINGS philosophy. A combination that made history within the brand and that has never ceased to have its faithful. Now, all that remains is to shoot them in fields and canals, from the Pyrenees to picos de Europa, Alpes or Dolomites, as grounds where they can take out what they were born for. We’ll tell you…..