SIERRE-ZINAL (7 AUGUST) 2021 REGISTRATION OPENING ON APRIL 2. WMRA WORLD CUP
SIERRE-ZINAL 2021 REGISTRATION OPENING ON 2nd APRIL. WMRA WORLD CUP. The mythical mountain race in the Swiss Alps opens registrations on April 2nd. The 48th edition of SIERRE ZINAL shines in the MOUNTAIN RACES 2021. In 2019 we brought you the great duel between Kilian Jornet, Petro Mamu and Jim Walmsley that ended with gold and record for Kilian, a feat that Maude Mathys also achieved in the women’s way.
Since its inception in 1974, Sierre Zinal has been growing step by step. Its history, layout, sporting level and popular passion make it unique. This is demonstrated by being the only mountain race in the world, a WMRA World Cup and The Golden Trail Series. We start with the 2019 video summary, the best edition of its history.
SIERRE ZINAL 2021: THE BEST MOUNTAIN RACE IN THE WORLD.
The Sierre Zinal mountain race is played in the spectacular setting of the Val d’Anniviers in the heart of the Swiss Alps. Its show layout allows you to admire, along its 31k/D+2,200m from Sierre to Zina, no less than five fourmiles: They are the Weisshorn (4506 m), Zinalrothorn (4221 m), Obergabelhorn (4073 m) Matterhorn (4478 m) and Dent Blanche (4357 m).
Today, SIerre Zinal has established itself as the most important mountain race in the world: For its long history since 1974, for the beauty of its layout, for the passion of the 5,000 popular runners registered each year. And above all, to bring together the world’s elite of this sport, arrived from Africa, Asia, America and Oceania to compete in the heart of Europe.
For years, Sierre Zinal has also been the only Race that belongs simultaneously to two annual competitions of enormous world prestige: The new Salomon Golden Trail and the Mountain Running WMRA World Cup, a pioneering circuit of the sport worldwide, from 1995 to today.
THE 2019 EDITION WENT ON IN HISTORY AS UNREPEATABLE.
A double men’s and women’s record was signed by two living legends of the sport: Spaniard Kilian Jornet achieved his seventh gold and first record here, with 2h25m35s. Switzerland’s Maude Mathys took women’s gold and records with 2h49m28s.
In 2020, the race was held, by the pandemic, in a month-long format: Where each enrollee chose their day of competition. Most of the elites came together to compete together on the last day. If this 2021 the health situation demanded it, it would also be done, although for the moment the classic format of everything is planned in one day.
Winners Sierre Zinal 1974-2021. A true one who is the one of the mountain races in history.
SIERRE ZINAL (31K/D+2000M): THE RACE
This 31k/+2,000m test hosts more than 4,000 entries, with a trace that allows fights between pure mountain runners and other asphalt corridors or orientation, with extreme competitiveness and superlative rhythms. Ricardo Mejía and Kilian are their living legends, with five victories the first and seven the second.
Sierre Zinal is a test that runs in the Swiss Valais region. It runs linking the villages of Sierre (585m) with Zinal (1685m) by a layout that has its roof in the 2,425m of Nava. The race thus adds 31km of travel for a positive elevation of 2,000m and a cumulative descent of 800m. Records fell in 2019 during an apotheotic edition and today belong to nothing less than Kilian Jornet and Maude Mathys.
SIERRE ZINAL, THE TRACK: The route of this classic Swiss is suitable for fast and powerful runners because it lacks significant technical sections, thus giving rise every year to beautiful duels between pure mountain runners with those who come from asphalt or even orientation tests. So, it’s one of the first tests where we’re watching great African runners fight for victory year after year.
In addition, the Sierre-Zinal allows to enjoy great alpine panoramas, being called “the race of the five fourmiles” since during the tour participants will be able to see the Weisshorn (4 506 m), Zinalrothorn (4 221 m), Ober Gabelhorn (4 073 m), the Matterhorn (4 478 m) and the Dent Blanche (4 357 m).
SIERRE-ZINAL 2021: OPENING REGISTRATIONS 2ABR
If there are no COVID-19 incidents, the race will take place on Saturday, August 7, 2021. If any, it will also be held this time in the “free” race format with date to be chosen by each runner for a month between August 4 and September 12, 2021).
The race has three registration phases, two of which have already been completed:
- The first is the one reserved for runners who opt for hotel and training clinic packages. It has only 4% dorsal. 1FEB opened at 12:00 a.m.
- The second, for residents of Sierre and Anniviers has 8% of the bibs. Opened on Sunday, February 14 at 12:00 a.m.
- The third and final phase registrations will open the 2. APR, with 88% bibs, from the race website. Given the huge volume of stakeholders each year and how quickly the bibs run out, a fairer and more serious process has been envisaged for all. There will be a single registration session that will take place on a first-come, first-served basis.
The system will automatically start the logs at noon and allow you to know the progress of availability at all times. Each category will be closed when enrollment fees are reached. On the other hand, you can recover a sale that has not been completed in the minutes that will follow the close.
When classic registrations are definitely closed, you’ll probably have the option of the hotel package or training camp that will allow you to run Sierre-Zinal and have an unforgettable stay in our region.
WHAT SHOULD I DO TO BE READY ON APRIL 2ND?
Before opening registrations: As has been the case for years many other races, Sierre Zinal has already enabled the option to create or update your personal Datasport account. You can also add one or more people in that profile to register them at the same time as you.
- Prepare a valid credit card. Payment must be validated during the registration process.
- Review the rules and choose your category Runners (Elite), Tourists (Popular) or Juniors (year 2002 to 2011).
- Determine your estimated time. To help you, check the race layout BEFORE and compare your provisional lap times with your estimated time.
On the day of registrations:
- Log in before noon on the race website in the registration section.
- From the race website, click on the Datasport link that will be open.
- Enters the registration process when the countdown reaches zero (12:00).
SIERRE-ZINAL 2021: THAT’S HOW THE RACE WILL BE.
By switching to a race on Saturday, the configuration will allow an increase in the number of participants while maintaining a fluency in the tour similar to previous editions. The different outputs are staggered from 4.45AM to 11.20am.
- Tourists (popular) should be divided into 7 blocks: Departures Saturday, staggered between 4:45 am and 6:15 am.
- Runners (elite) should be divided into 3 blocks: Departures Saturday, staggered between 11:00 am and 11:20 am.
- Juniors: Departure Saturday at 10:15 am from Chandolin. It is reserved for young people between 10 and 19 years old (2002 to 2011).
- Children (Race 5 Obstacles): Departure Friday August 06 at 18H from Sierre City Council, on the occasion of the collection of bibs (13:00 to 20:00 hours). The race is reserved for children between 4 and 9 years old (2012 to 2018).
SIERRE-ZINAL 2021: YOUTUBE LIVE 29MAR DOUBTS AT 7:00 PM
Next Monday, March 29 at 7:00 p.m., the organization will attend to live questions and answers through the YouTube channel.
The general rule will be to submit all questions in advance in firstname.lastname@example.org
The org. it will summarize the concept of the 2021 edition there again, provide an update on the progress of preparations and address the doubts raised above.
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ,
CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO