ARC’TERYX NORVAN SL INSULATED HOODY: A TRAILRUNNING JACKET TO CHALLENGE THE COLD AND WET OF THE WINTER.
ARC’TERYX NORVAN SL INSULATED HOODY: light insulated waterproof trailrunning jacket with GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY™ product technology for high output trail running in cold and wet conditions. Our TRAIL RUNNING GEAR section brings you todaya concept for real cold temperatures.
ARC’TERYX: FOUNDED IN THE IDEA THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER WAY.
Who is Arc’teryx? It is a Canadian technical high-performance apparel, outerwear and equipment company, founded firtsly in 1989 as Rock Solid and as of 1991 with the name we know it today: ARC’TERYX. Since 2001 is also part of the Amer Sports Group together with brands like: Salomon, Suunto, Atomic, Peak Performance, Wilson and many others.
Many of you might know Arc’teryx by its logo, many of you might think what it is? Do not worry, we will let you know.
The logo and the name of the Canadian brand refer to an Archaeopteryx, which is one of the first birds and a transition form between the first dinosaurs and the actual birds. The logo, designed by Michael Hofler, was based on the “Berliln specimen”: fossil of the bird with the most complete skeleton found until now.
Following that founding idea, the Canadians believe there is always a better way, and it is that philosophy what make them create outstanding outdoor and mountaneering products using the latest technologies having always very present the sustanibility and care for the planet.
ARC’TERYX NORVAL SL INSULATED HOODY
270 gr./ GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY™ / 400€
If you run often in winter conditions, you know it can be challenging. One of the key factors is to maintaining comfort and get an optimal performance in cold and wet environments. The Norvan SL Insulated Hoody is a minimalist, superlight, packable jacket for running in the inclement weather of winter. GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY™ product technology eliminates the need for a face fabric and does not require DWR treatments. Arc’teryx designers developed innovative design solutions to insulate the jacket with highly breathable and packable Coreloft™ Compact 40 insulation. The Dope Permeair™ 20 liner allows excess heat to escape and manages moisture.
This Arc’teryx Norval SL Insulated Hoody represents a light insulated waterproof technical jacket with a featherweight of 270 grams, on size M, with GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY™ waterproof membrane, highly breathable and packable Coreloft™ Compact 40 insulation. Designed for cold and wet conditions during your running adventures:
- Waterproof and breathable thanks to its GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY™ membrane.
- Norvan system by Arc’teryx: High performance trail running systems for extended high output in challenging terrain.
- SL: Superlight materials and design, emphasizing lightweight and packability over durability.
- Trail runinng: Technical trail running systems with a focus on freedom of movement and moisture management.
It is a fabric that uses ultralight materials with a great capacity for water repelling and breathability, although one of its most interesting qualities is that nor Gore-Tex neither Arc’teryx have reveal no dataabout the waterproof and breathability. While we have already tested a jacket, Montbell Peak Dry Shell certifies a 50/80 membrane, endorsed by Gore-Tex, carried out by Montbell, in which they indicate that the Gore-Tex SHAKEDRY fabric has a waterproof membrane of 50,000 mm and a breathability of 80,000.
For us to get an idea, the jacket needed to run Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc must be 10,000mm/10,000 and a third-layer mountaineering jacket is around 28,000mm/80,000. Thus, this one promises excellent water repelling and breathability that multiplies by 8 the mandatory equiptment in the UTMB.
ARC’TERYX NORVAL SL INSULATED HOODY DATA SHEET
- Price: 400€
- GORE-TEX® SHAKEDRY, waterproof 50,000mm, breathability: 80,000g/m2/24hr
- Sizes : for women XS, S, M, L; for men S, M, L, XL, XXL
- Weight: 270 g / 9.5 oz for size M mens; 45 g / 8.6 oz for women.
- Interior pocket with transport bag
- Fitted hood with elasticized brim ensures visibility when in use. Hood can be rolled and secured with snap when not in use.
- WaterTight™ front zipper with soft zipper pull.
- Coreloft™ Compact 40 insulation (40 g/m²). Highly crimped, multi-denier siliconized polyester yarn that has undergone a special process which reduces the thickness of the material by 50%, without reducing its insulation value by the same amount. Lightweight, breathable, thermally efficient 100% polyester fibre.
- Activity: Training/Fitness / Running
The first impressions with the Arc’teryx Norval SL Insulated Hoddy are very direct: if you run often in really cold tempratures (2°C to -10°C) the money is absolutely well invested. It is a Super ight weight jacket that offers a great thermal protection for running in cold and wet days. It is very important to keep in mind this factor when using it on temperatures above 5° C as it might be to warm. Until now, we have used it in a range from -14°C to 8°C being the colder days much more pleasant as the warmer days. Obviously, the first layer you chose will determined how warm or cold would you feel and will be able to enjoy this product and make it perfroms to the maximun. Once we have finalize our filed test we will let you know more., until then, run safe far and warm 😉
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ,
CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO