WORLD TRAIL MAJORS IS BORN: NEW ULTRA TRAIL SERIES
WORLD TRAIL MAJORS IS BORN: NEW ULTRA TRAIL SERIES. Our 2024 TRAIL RUNNING CALENDAR bring us the beginning of an exciting chapter in the world of trail running with the launch of World Trail Majors.
WORLD TRAIL MAJORS IS BORN
The evolution of trail running has been complex and, at times, erratic. To reconnect with the origins of this sport, a group of race organizers has decided to join forces in World Trail Majors. This association is based on solid yet straightforward principles: diversity, respect for the environment and local customs, and the preservation of the unique identity and personality of each race. A handful of race organizers have decided to join together to form a group that aims to return to some of the origins of trail running. this sport with the knowledge and experience acquired in recent decades.
Key Principles of World Trail Majors
- Diversity: Embracing the variability of trail running, fleeing from uniformity by embracing difference as something enriching that improves trail running as a sporting, cultural and social activity. Trail running is practiced in different ways, there are a variety of distances and terrain and none is necessarily better than another. Variety is an inherent part of trail running and one of its main values that should not be lost. Respect and even improve where it is developed. Trail running is practiced in places that come before this sport and are part of it.
- Respect: Respect for the natural environment, local customs, and diverse views of the sport is crucial. World Trail Majors advocates for a global approach that transcends the sport itself, emphasizing the responsibility to preserve the places where trail running is practiced.
- Identity and Personality: Each race has its own identity, nourished by its local location and unique history. World Trail Majors seeks to preserve this diversity rather than uniformity. Personality is the mutual legacy that will remain indelibly between runners, races and local communities that make each event not only a sporting experience but also a vital one.
World Trail Majors was not born with the intention of confrontation or of solving all the problems of the sport, but rather to provide a new, alternative path of development, which aims to be inspiring for popular runners, elites and other organizers.
Trail running has a lot to offer as a sport, but as much or more as a recreational activity that takes place in natural environments, crossing towns, sharing trails with the native population and helping the economies where it is practiced. World Trail Majors considers that the path to follow in the implementation of events in the territories must be agreed upon with local actors, must serve the purpose of the practitioners and leave an ephemeral legacy in its physical traces but lasting in values.
WORLD TRAIL MAJORS IS BORN
The Event Calendar for 2024
- Hong Kong 100 Ultramarathon: January 18-21, 2024. 102 km, +5314 m. Hong Kong, China. one of the events that internationalized trail running in China
- Black Canyon Ultras: February 10-11, 2024. 100 km, +1250 m. Phoenix, Arizona, United States. Pure American trail running on old ethnic trails and stagecoaches
- The North Face Transgrancanaria: February 21-25, 2024. 126 km, +6804 m. Canary Islands, Spain. One of the classics on the world trail running calendar
- Mt.FUJI 100: April 26-27, 2024. 165 km, +7574 m. Fujiyoshida, Japan. Japanese-style trail running with the great symbolic meaning of the highest mountain in the country
- MIUT – Madeira Island Ultra-Trail: April 27-28, 2024. 115 km, +7100 m. Madeira, Portugal. Iconic event on the spectacular island of Madeira
- Swiss Canyon Trail: June 7-9, 2024. 111 km, +5350 m. Val de Travers, Switzerland. Originating in 1994, one of the most relevant tests in Central Europe
- South Downs Way 100: June 8-9, 2024. 161 km, +3800 m. Winchester, United Kingdom. 100 miles following the historic South Downs Way route is a classic on the British calendar
- Quebec Mega Trail: July 5-7, 2024. 160 km, +6500 m. Quebec, Canada. Authentic trail running in the mountains near Quebec
- RMB Ultra-Trail Cape Town: November 22-24, 2024. 166 km, +7516 m. Cape Town, South Africa. Pure mountains next to one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Africa
WORLD TRAIL MAJORS IS BORN
Statements from Race Directors:
In an exciting development for the world of trail running, a diverse and prestigious collection of races, known as World Trail Majors, has been unveiled. Founded by a group of race organizers with a vision to revive the essence of the sport, this initiative aims to provide a fresh perspective on trail running events globally.
Janet Ng and Steve Brammar, founders, and race directors of Hong Kong 100 Ultramarathon express their enthusiasm for being part of World Trail Majors, stating, “We are thrilled to be a part of World Trail Majors, a selection of significant trail events worldwide. Each race has a mission to offer the best experience for every runner. We guarantee a warm welcome and an unforgettable experience for everyone participating in any of the World Trail Majors events.”
Jamil Coury, founder of Black Canyon Ultras, shares the excitement, saying, “We are delighted that Black Canyon, in its 100 km version, is now a part of World Trail Majors, a genuine celebration of some of the world’s most iconic trail races.”
Carlos Torrent, Director of The North Face Transgrancanaria, emphasizes the significance of World Trail Majors, stating, “World Trail Majors is the most important project we’ve been involved in. It is an alliance between races with a long-term vision where we aim to convey the values of our sport from Gran Canaria and other destinations to the world.”
Tatsuo Chiba, Co-director of Mt.FUJI 100, expresses the honor of participating in this new trail running initiative, saying, “It is an honor for Mt.FUJI 100 to be part of this new initiative, alongside great races from around the world. We look forward to welcoming everyone to the foot of our national symbol, Mount Fuji, to share this long route and beautiful experience with all.”
Sidónio Freitas, Director of MIUT – Madeira Island Ultra-Trail, considers it an honor to be part of World Trail Majors, stating, “These races are not only a challenge and inspiration for runners worldwide but also a way to promote a global community of trail running enthusiasts who appreciate the beauty and adventure of running in the mountains.”
Patrick Christinat, Founder and Race Director of Swiss Canyon Trail, reflects on the organization’s commitment to sharing the spirit of trail running, stating, “Swiss Canyon Trail has been a pioneer in European trail running for over 30 years. Our only goal is to showcase our region, landscapes, and the atmosphere created among volunteers, locals, and runners.”
James Elson, Race Director of South Downs Way 100, expresses excitement about being part of an incredible group of races, stating, “We are thrilled to be part of this amazing, diverse, sustainable, and independent group that aims to help grow the sport in the right direction.”
Jean Fortier, Race Director of Quebec Mega Trail, appreciates the opportunity to join an international circuit that recognizes unique values, stating, “Having the chance to join an international circuit that recognizes these values and consolidates our sport as something unique is an honor.”
Stuart McConnachie, Race Director of RMB Ultra-trail Cape Town, highlights the pride in being part of an association that celebrates diversity, stating, “RMB Ultra-trail Cape Town is proud to be part of this association that celebrates diversity, one of the goals of World Trail Majors.”