Kilian Jornet back to trail running: Race kick-off at Marathon Mont Blanc, then HardRock, Sierre-Zinal, UTMB, Glencoe and Ultrapirineu.
Kilian Jornet will come back to trail running this weekend at Mont Blanc Marathon. From then on, he will be racing also at Hardrock, Sierre Zinal, Ultra Trail Mont Blanc, Glen Coe Skyline and Ultra Pirineu. His running calendar also includes some personal pet projects as the Bob Graham Round in the UK. Now, let us go on with the detail of the calendar.
KILIAN JORNET TO RUN SIX MOUNTAIN RACES IN 2017
Mont Blanc Marathon wil kick off his trail season this weekend.
Kilian Jornet has planned a lot of activity for this next season. After having faced a few months combining several diffetent mountain activitities at the Himalayas including his dual Everest ascent, he is now back to trail running. First racing in the Alps, then moving on to the Rockies, the Pyrenees, and even taking on some personal pet projects.
Declarations Kilian Jornet: “I like polyvalence, and this season paints very well because we will have a little bit of everything. From the great Everest project to trail races, through personal alpinrunning projects. I’m still motivated like the first day, so I really want to see what will happen this season. I want to wear a bib number again. After Everest I want to see again how my body feels in a mountain race. If everything goes well it can be a very nice year at the level of competition with very emblematic races and I feel like running. In addition to the challenge of the Bob Graham Round Club”
MOUNTAIN RUNING: Kilian will take part at either side of the bib on six races, from Chamonix to Colorado. After Everest, whatever the outcome, Jornet will face a summer full of races. As he explained: “I have never lost the motivation to compete, but it is true that in recent years other projects had left me little time. Races are a motivation to train and give the best of us in a day, so I plan to participate in some during this summer. “
- Marathon Mont Blanc: His first objective, this very weekend is the Marathon du Mont Blanc at Chamonix, and he explained: “It’s a race that I’m not totally sure if I can go, because it will depend on how we get back from Everest, but to which I hope to arrive, because I like the race and the environment “.
- Hardrock: After the appointment in the Alps, Jornet does not want to miss the race that has crowned him in the three previous editions; The Hardrock. The mythical American race is for Jornet: “The best ultra in which I participated, as much for the route as for the environment. It’s a race I always like to repeat. “
- Tromsö Skyrace: In August the Tromsö Skyrace returns, race of which is co-organizer and where Jornet will not take the number post but will be part of the organizing committee.
- Sierre Zinal: Kilian’s new visit to this very fast Swiss race of great tradition, where African athletes with the best mountain runners and the great ones from orienteering, all racing each other on a track open to all. Winning Sierre Zinal is always something important.
- Ultra Trail Mont Blanc: At the end of the summer is when you anticipate the season’s highlights. On the one hand, Kilian Jornet is among the participants of the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc. In the race for excellence, Jornet hopes to be able to fight a beautiful battle with the best runners in the world, as he explained: “I have not run the UTMB for many years and this year I feel like coming back because there seems to be a lot of level. There are few times that you find a race with such density of elite runners, so it can be a nice show in an ultra fast as is UTMB “.
- Glen Coe: After the great Chamonix rendezvous Jornet will travel to Scotland to participate in the Glen Coe, an extreme race that he explains here: “My partner Emelie ran it two years ago and told me I had to go, for the wild and technical part. We will see what happens and what the mountains of Scotland are for us. “
- Ultra Pirineu: On the other hand, Jornet does not want to miss the Salomon Ultra Pirineu: “It’s home race, where I started to run and where I always get excited to return, the environment there is very special.”
PERSONAL PROJECTS: As the third axis of the season, in addition to his great adventure in Everest and the mountain races, KIlian will complete the calendar with some personal projects, derived from this hobby to look for different angles and combine activities of all kinds. We will see this way from an ultra trail route in the purest British tradition.
- Bob Graham Round (119km / D + 8.700m / Max-24h) Within the personal parallel projects that he will face these months, Jornet would like to be able to join the Bob Graham Round Club. Entering this club is not easy, as you first have to complete a turn through 42 hills in the Lake District region of the UK, covering a total of 119km and 8,700m of positive gradient. To be accepted into the club you have to make the return in less than 24h, and the current record is sustained by Billy Bland with a time of 13h53 ‘.
MORE ON SKIMO, TRAIL RUNNING AND MOUNTAIN GEAR
- Our best reviews for selected mountain gear.
- Our video collection with athlete´s interviews, races and more.
- Carrerasdemontana.com offers the best trail info in spanish, since 2007.