SALOMON XT WINGS 2: A MOUNTAIN RUNNING CLASSIC REBORN.
SALOMON XT WINGS 2: A MOUNTAIN RUNNING CLASSICS REBORN. New life for this great classic in mountain racing. Heavy, reluctant and extremely reliable. Our TRAIL SHOES section presents today another great novelty of the catalog of the French brand. Look, it now arrives not as a sports performance shoe, but as a “walking shoe,” just as it to her sister XT Wings 6.
Both are already in physical stores and on the official website of the brand. The brand new Salomon XT Wings 2 of 2021 comes with a price of 140€ , 365gr weight and a drop of 10.5mm between the forefoot and heel.. We come here with the return of the panzer, whose last thorough test with us dated from the Salomon XT Wings 3 of 2012. And the truth… comes back as it went.
SALOMON XT WINGS 2: A NEW LIFE FOR THIS GREAT CLASSIC IN MOUNTAIN RACES BY MAYAYO.
The Salomon XT wings saga was conceived as a multipurpose technical mountain shoe. “Mountain Trail Running” is the segment where the brand qualified it at birth. It has always been a model focused on a long and versatile run. In those days, honors were distributed with options such as Speedcross focused on technical vertical leases but not very long or for light runners of excellent technique in long, of course. Speedcross has always been alive today with Speedcross 5. The Salomon XT family is now back in the ring.
Three pairs of Salomon XT Wings used during 2008-12: In 2008 I ran with the pioneers of the saga races such as the Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix. Over the years, I went through the Slab4 version later. The last version I thoroughly tested was back in 2012. I went back for the third time to run with this saga through the mountains with the XTWings 3. For many, this third version was by far the best in the saga. It never ceases to attract attention that the brand has chosen to recover version 2 now, instead of the last version of the previous one.
So were the last Salomon XT Wings 3 of 2012. Take a look… that barely change now. They then said goodbye to the market, weighing 370 grams, drop 10.5 mm and at the price of 135€.
SALOMON XT WINGS 2: DATA SHEET 2021 MODEL
- Price: 140€. Up to 35€ below your XT6 sisters, welcome. An average price, which curiously maintains almost that of 2012. Logical, since it will now be a mid-range solution, for popuar platoon runners who prime protection and confidence.
- Weight: 335 grams for men. Almost identical to the one at the time and 30gr lighter than XT6. Revival in full order, without changing almost anything.
- Drop: 10.5mm, A high drop, which makes them a shoe not very demanding in the technical and that allows us to heel if we get tired by singing many hours with them.
- Ground height: 12mm front and 22.5mm at back. A shoe particularly attached to the ground. It doesn’t cushion much in front, of course. But it doesn’t fall behind, thanks to the wide drop. And so, being glued to the ground in front gives us a lot of tact of ground.
- Support/Fit: Extremely firm, with several shoulder straps that “fix” the instep plus the chassis.
- Cable laying typical of the house.
- Agile Chassis System: The heart of the shoe. This system combines stability and damping. Works in harmony with the
- EnergyCell midsole. Cover wears abrasion-resistant TPU material
- EndoFit Fastening: Classic salomon. Internal adjustment cover that hugs the instep and offers greater fit
- Lugs: Medium-high prominence, 4-5mm. they will be well on firm, soft ground, as long as the mud or snow is not particularly deep.
- Contagrip MA rubber sole, premium durability on grip, unlike THE XT6. Oversized width 1cm front and 0.5cm at back. The trapezoidal shape of the chassis and the wide sole makes them hyperestable. At the expense, yes, if I’m not the most agile in the class. That’s what other sisters are for. It arrives in five colors, a waste…
SALOMON XT WINGS 2 DEL 2021: CONCLUSION.
Return to the countryside… at popular request. Three pairs spent in those days. Having premiered them back in 2008, running together those 100km from the CCC, I am excited to see them back as it is 2021. And it is that, losing sight of them after those Salomon XT Wings 3 of 2012 gave me, and a large number of popular runners, a lot of grief. They left a void in the range, for stability and protection that is filled now, years later.
They have always been and are now returning firmly, safe and dignified trail shoes cushioned to run long down the mountain. Today, with lighter shoes and materials, they are already pure “tanks”. But that feeling can be very welcome when many hours of train or racepass. So, the reflections are no longer the same as on the way out.
SALOMON XT WINGS ARE HISTORY, DESERVEDLY.
They protect the foot like almost no other shoe: With them, poor career support is much less likely to end in fall or twist. At the same time, even if they are not the most comfortable or light to “fly” by forest tracks or vertical walls always fulfill with dignity when they touch stretches like this. Real multipurpose, as a popular runner they were and continue to be a workhorse to trust every day. And by the way, a shoe that we can also pay for in other uses: Hiking, mountain trekking, daily walk… And all those running/walking features that Salomon for a while left alone in the hands of his sister XA Pro 3D V8.
Now, a good alternative is the resused XT Wings 5. More agile alternatives: Now, if you want to run and you have a good foot, options like the Salomon Sense Ride 4 or its sister the Salomon Sense Pro 4 would allow you more and better running performance for an almost identical price. Much more modern, they are therefore more agile, light and sharp.
But on her own terrein, these XT Wings are a cannon. We belive it is normal that after almost 10 years of absence, they return to the shops, at popular request.
SALOMON OFICIAL WEB
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ,
CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SUPPORT US IN PATREON.COM/MAYAYO