100KM OF SAHARA 2019 (8-13 OCT): AN ADVENTURE OF 3 STAGES ON THE SAHARA DESERT
In October 2019 the 19th edition of the 100km Del Sahara will take place in the Tunisian Sahara desert. An ultramarathon in 3 stages in which you have three ways for participating, three different modalities like Running, Nordic Walking Sportivo and Walkers.
Last edition in 2018 the victory was for Gianluca Giuttari and Enrica Carrara. In 2014, Sergio Mayayo had the opportunity to run there with Alma Obregón and Raúl García Castán who won the race. And this year our patron Alex Fraguela will try to get the victory after being second with the carrerasdemontana.com team together with Ragna Debats and Albert Gine.
Let’s start with a video from Sergio Mayayo in 2014 just after finishing the event (in spanish)
100KM OF SAHARA 2019: PROGRAM AND RACES
The 100km Del Sahara is part of the stage races organized by Zitoway Sport & Adventure in the desert environment. In March they organize the 100km du Senegal and in December the 100km of Namib Desert. In 2019 100km of Sahara will held its 19 edition with three different races and categories: Runners 100km, Nordic Walking Sports 80km and Walkers 50km.
The start of the 100km Del Sahara is based in the Campement Zmela Labrissa, 20km south from the oasis of Ksar Ghilane and the arrival will be close to the oasis of Douz. A 3 stage race where the runners will share 6 days and 5 nights togehter, the first and last night at a hotel, and 3 nights in tented camps in the desert with:
- Tents for 6 persons with sleeping mat.
- Canteen tent with Zitoway cooks and meals based on Italian produce.
- Field Showers.
- Infirmary tent.
- Office Tent and Race Direction.
- Charging points for GPS, mobile phones and devices.
The race course is characterized by the different desert terrains: sand dunes, hard and compact trail running tracks with lots of sand tongues. It takes place in semi self-sufficiency and the organization will take care of transporting the luggage from one bivouac to another. During the race, runner just carry only what they need during the race, plus the mandatory equipment. Organization will also provide all meals at camp. The route will be fully waymarked.
Every runner has three different options when applying for the race, the three of them with 3 stages but with different distances:
- Runners 100 km, 3 stages of 15/35/50 km, the first stage of 15 km will largely develop on sand dunes, the second stage of 35 km with an initial stretch mainly of sand, and then desert tracks to the Bibane campsite and the final stage of 50 km with some km of great sand dunes departing and following prevalence of hard and compact terrain with stretches of track invaded by sand. With different refreshment points, 1 refreshment point in the first stage, 2 in the second stage and 3 in the third stage.
- Nordic Walking Sportivo 80 km, 3 stages 15/35/30 km.
- Walkers 50 km, 3 stages 15/15/20 km non competitive.