TRANSVULCANIA 2019 : IT IS SHOWTIME FOR TRANSVULCANIA 2019, FAVORITES, PROGRAM
The Migu Run Skyrunner® World Series arrives to Transvulcania this weekend, runners from all over the world will climb from sea to sky over volcanoes for the legendary Transvulcania Ultramarathon, a pinnacle event in the Migu Run Skyrunner® World Series Calendar and the first SuperSky Race of the series.
Starting with the KV this Thursday 9th and following with the other races (half marathon, marathon and ultra marathon) on the weekend. Our team of carrerasdemontana.com and trailrunningspain will be in La Palma showing us all the info from hashtag #TransvulcaniaMayayo
Let’s start looking at how the favorites charges batteries in El Pilar after the first 24km/D+2,100m.
TRANSVULCANIA 2019: FIRST SUPERSKY RACE OF THE SERIES AND FAVORITES
Starting before dawn at the Fuencaliente Lighthouse on the ocean front, the 74 km course climbs 4,350m over volcanic sand to the iconic Roque de las Muchachos at 2,420m. It’s almost all downhill after that with a steep descent that lasts around 15 km, before the final climb through the island’s banana plantations to the famous finish line in Los Llanos de Aridane.
Up for grabs are those all-important double points, awarded to the finishers of every SuperSky Race. Megan Kimmel (USA), Team Salomon, who currently sits at the top of the overall ranking, is among those rising to the challenge of what has been described as one of the toughest Sky Races in the world, hoping to score big.
“Transvulcania in La Palma is a destination you know before you even get here. It’s going to be an amazing race.” says Kimmel, fresh and in high spirits after her recent win in China last weekend. “I still feel a little jetlagged, but I think that it will be a nice transition starting at sea level. I feel like I’ve put in the right training for the amount of elevation in this race.” Kimmel will once again be up against Ragna Debats (NED), Team Merrell after beating her by a whopping 30 minutes at the high-altitude Yading Skyrun.
Other strong contenders in the women’s field include Emily Hawgood (ZIM), Team Scott, Anne-Lise Rousset (FRA), Team Oxsitis-Odlo and Elise Desco (ITA), Team Berg Outdoor/Scarpa.
With 2018 winner, Pere Aurell (ESP), Team Merrell, pulling out last minute due to an injury, and Transvulcania legend Luis Alberto Hernando (ESP), Team Adidas Terrex, also not participating in the ultramarathon this year, the men’s field lies wide open. With just days to go, it’s looking likely to be a tough battle between Jon Albon (GBR), Team Gore/VJ shoes, Dimitry Mityaec (RUS), Team Adidas Terrex, Marco DeGasperi (ITA), Team Hoka One /Compressport, Petter Engdhal (SWE), Team Salomon and running legend, Max King, (USA), Team Salomon.
Transvulcania is one of, if not the, biggest event of the Migu Run Skyrunner® World Series Calendar. Since 2012 it has attracted top names in skyrunning and continues to grow every year, reaching an all-time high of over 2,000 runners in 2019.
TRANSVULCANIA 2019: PROGRAM AND RACES
KV 05.09.2019 – 05:00 pm – 08:00 pm
ULTRAMARATHON 05.11.2019 – 06:00 am – 11:00 pm
MARATHON 05.11.2019 10:00 am – 07:30 pm
MEDIA MARATHON 05.11.2019 07:30 am – 02:00 pm
SKYRUNNER WORLD SERIES 2019 CALENDAR
- April 21, Mt Awa SkyRace, 31km +2000m, Japon
- May 1, Yadin Skyrun 29km +2354m, Spain
- May11, Transvulcania Ultramaraton 74km +4350m, Spain
- May19, SkyRace des Matheysins 27km +1980m, France
- June 1, Madeira SkyRace 55km +4100m, Portugal
- June 15, Livigno SkyMarathon 34km +2700m, Italy
- June 29, Olympus Marathon 44km +3200m, Greece
- July 14, Buf Epic Trail 42k 42km +3325m, Spain
- July 21, Royal Ultra SkyMarathon 52km +4000m, Italy
- July 28, SkyRace Comapedrosa 21km +2280m, Italy
- August 3, Tromso SkyRace 57km +4700, Norway
- August 23, Matterhon Ultraks “Extreme” 24km +2800m, Switzerland
- September 15, ZacUp SkyRace 24km +2650m, Italy
- September 22, Pirin Ultra SkyRace 66km +4400, Bulgaria
- October 5, Sky Pirineu 37km +2575m, Spain
- Mid October, Sky Masters
Zegama will be out of the Skyrunner world series 2019.
In the coming weeks, the rules and regulations as well as the SuperSky Races and SkyMasters will be announced.
TRANSVULCANIA 2019: PHOTOS
MORE ON TRAIL RUNNING: TOP RACES, RUNNERS, GEAR AND MORE.
- Our best trail running reviews for selected gear.
- Our video collection with runners interviews, races and more.
- Carrerasdemontana.com offers the best trail info in spanish, since 2007.